Thursday, February 7, 2013

Kala Ghoda Festival 2013

Last weekend, I went to the   Kala   Ghoda fest. I had lots of fun. 




There were many different installations. In one installation, there were many pictures of actors stuck on cardboard. Some actors I recognised were Rajnikant, Hritik Roshan, Aamir Khan, Salman Khan, Rekha, and Amitabh Bachchan. Though my favourite actor is Hritik Roshan, my favourite picture was of Rajnikant. He had a cool hairstyle, with his hands in his pockets and a huge smile on his face.



I met three of my mother’s friends – Rushikesh uncle, Sudha aunty and Biswajit uncle. We bought many different kinds of things. To name some, we bought a flute in the shape of a sparrow, a hair band with stuffed antlers, and also some postcards.



At a stall run by the Snow Leopard Conservation centre, we bought a keychain and some postcards. In one of the postcards, I recognized the picture of a bird, (it was a variety of a Magpie Robin), and the aunty at the stall was so happy that she gave me the postcard for free! There was also an artist at the venue, who sketched my portrait. That day, I had gone to the dentist to extract a tooth, and so, I could have ice creams! In all, I had 5 scoops of ice cream that day!!! After I came home, I calculated how much money we had spent. It was a total of almost 2000 rupees!




We saw some students making tetrahedrons with paper for an installation. 



They showed me how to make fold the paper and make the tetrahedrons, and even gave one to me! Here are 2 videos my mother recorded...





I also saw a handicapped person painting with his foot. His muscles were twisted and had not grown properly. Yet, it was amazing to see how beautifully he painted. When any of us draw a tree, we will draw two straight lines and leaves. Because he was painting with his foot, the lines went crooked and it gave the real shapes and textures of a tree.



On Sunday, I attended two workshops. They were held in the Museum gardens. The first workshop was the Tinkle Toon Factory. The workshop was conducted by some members of the Tinkle Digest team – editors, artists, and writers. They taught us how to make comics.



Though the workshop was full, one of the writers, Sean D’Mello, allowed me to participate in the workshop. After the workshop, they gave us free Tinkle Digests. I liked the workshop a lot.



The other workshop was conducted by Arzan Khambata, a sculptor. He started his career by making sculptures with scrap materials. He called them ‘Scraptures’. At the workshop, he taught us how to convert 2D into 3D. He gave us a paper and showed us how to make 3D mobiles by cutting, twisting, curving, folding, and stapling.



This workshop was full too, but once again, he arranged for paper for everyone and made sure everyone got to participate in the workshop. I had lots of fun in this workshop too.Here is the one I made....



Kala Ghoda was a totally adventurous experience. You shouldn't miss it!!!!!!


P.S. This post was written completely by Samhith. I have only helped a bit with the punctuation and with the phrasing of a few sentences. Of course, he still can not type fast, so typing and posting has been my job, while he dictated it to me. This post happens to be an important one for us, since this is the first time he has actually written almost 500 words on any single topic. That gives you an idea of how much he enjoyed the festival! 

28 comments:

  1. Wow Samhith, you really had an incredible time at the festival. I wish I could attend so many workshops and learn how to turn 2D to 3D. Thank you for the video on the tetrahedron. I would love to teach that to my son who is five years old. You post is brilliant..:) Keep writing about more of your adventures...
    P.s. Wish I could have 5 scoops of icecream in a day...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post Samhith... Congrats!! :))) Looks like you had a lot of fun and that paper art you've done is wow.. I also do some origami, and watching this video made me want to go make something.. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful!!!!! I could feel his excitement and involvement while reading this post!!! Way to go samhith! Looking forward to more such posts from you!

    Kanthi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Samhith! Really very well described. Especially the workshops that we missed...Now you have to teach Mishtee how to make 3D mobiles...:) Looking forward to more and regular write ups from you.

    Sonal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Samhith !!! Way to go forward !!! God Bless you and look to see you some time in Delhi soon (or at a Trip with me some time ) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Samthith,
    Im extremely jealous of you getting to do all the fun stuff that you are, and for those free Tinkles :D I m also happy to see you really excited in participating in all these events. The joy is written all over your face. Very well written, and looking forward to more of your posts. Have tons of fun, and keep reading and writing. Loads of love.
    Aneen :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ! Lovely to read Samhith !! and congratulations Samhith's mom for taking Samhith to this festival and teaching him about expressing through blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great writing Samhith !
    Congratulations Samhith's mom for the support you give him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! gr8 seems like i missed all the fun...lucky u...getting to attend all those workshops and feasting on ice creams!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great is the mother-son work. Keep it up. All d best for future postings.


    Vijaya

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its a nice post. Once he has jotted down his thoughts, he will remember them always. Great effort Anuradha. My blessings to him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome, Samhit. You have beautifully explained the workshops. great that you had such a wonderful time. Don't worry about the 2000 rs you spent. It was worth it for all the fun you had. Looking fwd to more posts from you.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome, Samhit. You have beautifully explained the workshops. great that you had such a wonderful time. Don't worry about the 2000 rs you spent. It was worth it for all the fun you had. Looking fwd to more posts from you.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very Nice Samhit.. You had a great time and you are a big boy now. All the best and I promise I will read all your blogs and make Sahana also read them. And Nice to read that you liked Rajinikanth's style pic (From Vijay and Sukanya)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good one, Samhith. Keep writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to go Samhith! Very nicely written. And I am disappointed that I am not a child now but want to sing a song "Hum bhi agar bacche hote" .

    Good going. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the post, the pics, the videos and the lovely narration :) there is no doubt about , from where he gets these qualities :)

    Here is wishing him many more writing, and a world full of opportunities and possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Samhit, I am amazed, The way you have expressed your experience… I cannot do it …… I am feeling little J as I have missed it, but next time you are calling me without fail… All the best …looking forward to see many more such blogs from you..:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Samhith, this was really well written. I loved the bit about the tree getting the right shape and texture due to the crooked lines. I wish I was there with you people at Kalaghoda!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Samhith, this was really well written. I loved the bit about the tree getting the right shape and texture due to the crooked lines. I wish I was there with you people at Kalaghoda!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely post Samhith. You must keep doing this for i loved reading what you wrote. Way to go little guy!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Way to go Samhith, loved your post. You should post more often!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Samhith, I loved the way you described all the fun things you saw, did and learnt. Way to go!! Wish we had such opportunities when we were kids. Keep writing:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really wish I also would have been doing the same things, like making those tetrahedrons using three pieces of papers, and would love to attend that workshop of tinkle. I loved reading what you wrote...

    Mishtee

    ReplyDelete
  25. well done,samhit-will welcome more and more posts-nicely described

    ReplyDelete
  26. well done-our blessings-more posts welcome

    ReplyDelete